Total Pageviews

Monday, April 4, 2011

Hunger Games!

Just as a review Hunger Games is about Katniss Everdeen who is a seventeen year old girl who takes care of her family in a post-apocalyptic society, which involves 12 districts as well as the Capitol. Every year there is an event called the Reaping and it basically picks one boy and one girl to be a tribute from each district for the Hunger Games. Basically, the Hunger Games is an event where all the tributes from each district are thrown into an arena and the last one standing wins.
I began this series about two weeks ago and at first I have to be honest, it was a little slow. However, once I past the first 5 chapters I was completely engrossed in the series. I felt the series was fast paced and kept me on the edge of my seat with numerous turns in the storyline.
The Hunger Game series is a trilogy, which includes the books Catching Fire and Mockingjay written by Suzanne Collins. After I read Hunger Games I went out the next morning to purchase the next book, Catching Fire, because they ended the book in a way that you wanted to know what was next. Even though the book didn’t quite pick up where Hunger Games left off I was still highly involved with the story that I read it in three days. Catching Fire didn’t end in such a way that made me want to buy Mockingjay right away but I was still really interested in the knowing what happened next. When I first started reading the Mockingjay I wasn’t as excited because I already had a preconceived idea of how the story was going to go and the book was going along as planned. However, towards the end I just wanted to stop reading. I got to a point where there was a plot twist and I was so enraged with what I was reading that all I wanted to do was stop reading. Even though I felt like I needed to stop reading I kept going. I think at this point I was so angry that I wasn’t really absorbing the ending which I have been thinking lately that I should go back and read it to fully gather what happened in the end.
After I put down the book I was completely upset, I cried, I complained to my friends and family about how upset I was about the ending but as I was trying to go to sleep that night after finishing the series and was pondering upon my thoughts of what I was going to say to other people I came to the conclusion that it’s not your typical story book ending. After coming to this realization I really started to like Suzanne Collins for taking such a leap and ending it the way that she did.
If you’ve read the series and want to know why I was upset please read on further.
SPOILER ALERT!!!!(highlight with cursor to read)
Are you reading this and haven’t read the series yet? Please don’t. It will completely ruin the whole series. So STOP READING!!! Unless you’ve read the series then continue on.
Rage Alert
What I was most upset about in Mockingjay is that Prim dies. The whole reason for the series is because Katniss protects her sister from the Hunger Games and then in the last book they kill her!! I felt like I just wasted two weeks of my time on a story that was more or less based on protecting her family and more specifically her sister. I just felt like all those emotions went to nothing. Also, I was upset that Gale and Katniss no longer speak longer. I wasn’t upset that she ended up marrying Peeta even though I was on Team Gale, but I felt they just kinda dumped it on you in the end. Then again as I said before, after Prim died I was so outraged that I wasn’t really tuned into the story any longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment